Monday, July 25, 2016

Little Darlings Artist Joyce Mathews

0

In today's post, I want to talk about Little Darlings artist Joyce Mathews. 
My Mary, wearing a Matilda Pink dress

The first thing I want to talk about that I believe makes Joyce's style stand out is the depth of realism she creates with the flesh tones of the dolls. The facial coloring seems so alive that you might think you could touch her cheek and it would be warm. I also find that the contouring and shading she does can make the features seem to be completely  different from other dolls of the same mold (all of the artists achieve this to some degree but I notice the most variation among same-mold painting with Joyce). 
Face close up

Now let's talk about Joyce's eyes. The main thing I have noticed about her eye painting style is how sharp her eyes are. There is clear definition between pupil, iris, and whites, where some artists do more of a feathering or fading effect. I think this gives the dolls a very intent gaze, and I love how different it is from the other dolls. 

As for her eyebrows, they are not as defined as the other Little Darlings I have. You can definitely see some definition but they are more fuzzy and less of individual hairs. I think this may have to do with the way the eyes are contoured on my specific doll, the eyebrows sort of lead down into the shading of the doll's eye socket.

One last look

Joyce's dolls are beautiful and often command high prices on eBay. I was able to snag mine from Etsy when she listed her there quite awhile back. I did pay a premium for her, but nowhere near the eBay prices. She is my only brown eyed girl and a treasure in my collection! 




0 comentarios:

Post a Comment